Homemade Deep Dish Pizza
- Published on May 3, 2017
- Check out the Tasty One-Stop Shop for cookbooks, aprons, hats, and more at TastyShop.com: bit.ly/2mEBY0e
Here's what you'll need!
DEEP DISH PIZZA
1¼ cup warm water
2¼ teaspoon active dry yeast
2 teaspoons sugar
3¼ cups flour
¾ cup cornmeal
2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
1 onion, diced
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 teaspoon oregano
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon sugar
1 28-ounce can of crushed tomatoes with basil
10 slices mozzarella
½ pound Italian sausage
Fresh grated Parmesan
1. For the pizza sauce, melt the butter in a small saucepan and add the onion, salt, red pepper flakes, and oregano, and sauté until golden brown.
2. Add the garlic, sugar, and crushed tomatoes, and simmer for roughly 20 minutes or until sauce thickens.
3. For the dough, combine the active dry yeast, sugar, and warm water together and let sit for one minute.
4. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, and salt.
5. Add the yeast mixture and butter into the dry ingredients and stir until dough forms.
6. Bring dough to floured surface and knead until dough forms into a ball.
7. Move dough to large bowl drizzled with olive oil. Coat dough in oil and cover and let rest for 1 hour.
8. Remove dough and bring onto floured surface.
9. Cut dough in half and begin working dough out ensuring that it is at least 2 inches wider than your deep dish pan. Double wrap the remaining dough with plastic wrap and place in a resealable freezer bag. Freeze for up to a month.
10. Preheat your oven to 425°F/215°C.
11. Bring your dough into your oiled and floured deep dish pan.
12. Using your hands press dough into sides of your dish making it as even as possible.
13. Lay slices of mozzarella across the dough, covering the entire bottom.
14. Add pieces of uncased Italian sausage on top of the mozzarella and top with tomato sauce.
15. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until crust starts to lightly brown and the cheese is melted.
16. Garnish with Parmesan.
Adapted from: sallysbakingaddiction.com/2014/12/31/how-to-make-chicago-style-deep-dish-pizza/
Check us out on Facebook! - facebook.com/buzzfeedtasty
Licensed via Warner Chappell Production Music Inc.
- Howto & Style